Coconut oil is one of the most versatile health food on the planet! Not only is it our favourite cooking oil, but there are so many uses for coconut oil and can extend to being a form of natural medicine, for cooking, for natural beauty treatments and so much more! That being said, we have chosen to share the top 9 uses of coconut oil with you.
They say nature provides all. I believe this not only to be true but a motto we should all live by. We at Life Inspired by Nature have a motto, perhaps a platitude for most, or maybe you never heard it before – “If man made it don’t touch it, if it comes from nature – indulge!”
Today we have decided to focus on a popular product that has made some noise over the years. It has been demonized by the American Heart Association, it has been praised by many Holistic and Functional Medicine doctors, and it has been all over and somewhere in between.
Without getting too much into politics, here are some common uses and benefits of coconut oil that everyone seems to agree on:
Benefits and Common Uses of Coconut Oil
Weight loss – The secret to its weight loss benefits come from coconut oils high amount of MCT (medium chain triglycerides). These are simply fatty acids that are used directly by the body without having to go through the liver and the entire digestion process. The advantage of this is that the body gets fuel quicker and feels full faster and longer .
The trend at the moment is to skip the coconut oil for fear of its high saturated fat (which is a non-issue) and consume MCT oil, which is an extraction. Personally, if Mother Nature wanted to make only MCT Oil, She would have made an MCT fruit. Just our opinion!
Good for Arthritis – Due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Great for your skin and hair
Antibacterial and anti-fungal
Favourable for regulating cholesterol levels
This is by no means an exhaustive list, but all good points to consider coconut oil in your daily lifestyle choices.
9 Uses of Coconut Oil
1) Moisturizer – Due to its high saturated fat content, it is ideal for skin care.
2) Moisturizing Bath – a ¼ cup of coconut oil with a ¼ cup of Epsom salts for a relaxing bath. This will leave your skin feeling soft and moisturized. You can even opt to add a few drops of your essential oils.
3) Makeup Remover – No harsh chemicals required. Just put some on a cotton swab and remove makeup with circular motions.
4) Face Wash – a ½ cup of coconut oil with 8 drops each of lavender, tea tree, and geranium essential oils. This combination acts as an antibacterial and acne relieving recipe, along with the moisturizing effects of the coconut oil.
5) Oil Pulling – Coconut Oil is fantastic for oil pulling.
6) Cooking at High Heat – Healthier option than olive oil, canola and other vegetable oils due to its high smoke point.
7) Butter Replacement – For those that are lactose or vegan.
8) Coffee Creamer – One tablespoon in the morning gives your coffee a rich, creamy flavour.
9) Smoothies – For that richness and creaminess.
So next time you look at a coconut, you will see not only a hard-shelled fruit but all the things this wonder fruit can do and be used for.
Always look for virgin, organic coconut oil that has not been adulterated and cold pressed. Never purchase deodorized coconut oil as it too has been processed.
This page might contain affiliate links. In the event of a sale, we will be awarded a small commission (at no extra cost to you).